The history of the Christians in the Egami area can be traced back to the closing days of the Edo period. Four Hidden Christian families migrated from the Oomura domain, and in 1881 these four families received baptism. At first, these Christians would pray in their homes and a priest would come and minister to them from the nearby Kazura island. They had a strong desire, however, to construct a church which they could call their own. When the Taisho period arrived, the area’s main industry, fishing, began to prosper. Kibinago (silver-stripe round herring) was a particularly strong source of income for them, and after a while they had raised enough money to build their own church. This money was jointly contributed by 40-50 Christian households.

In 2001, the church was painted a distinctive white and pastel-coloured light blue. From the church’s paintwork to the gravel which was laid around its circumference, local Christians got heavily involved with the repair work which was needed. They painted the church themselves, and they also carried the gravel from the nearby seashore.