Search for registered asset(Areas)
This is a list of all assets registered on this website.
A church built in a small fishing village on Shimoshima island in Amakusa (which is part of Kumamoto prefecture).
A shrine built in a small fishing village on Shimoshima island in Amakusa (which is part of Kumamoto prefecture).
Kashiragashima is an island located east of the island of Nakadorijima, in the north of the Goto archipelago. The church itself is found in the village of Shirahama.
Located on the southern tip of Nozaki island, Funamori village consists of the remains of houses, disused farmland, a cemetery, the remains of an old wooden church (which was known as Setowaki Church) and an old trail.
Nokubi village was located in the centre of Nozaki island, and today the remains of former houses and traces of disused farmland can still be seen there, as well as Former Nokubi church. A trail which the village’s inhabitants made is also visible.
Designed and constructed by Tetsukawa Yosuke. Finished in 1908.
Located in Nagasaki prefecture in the southern part of the Shimabara peninsula.
A wooden church with a multi-layered roof, designed by Tetsukawa Yosuke and completed in 1918. It has three aisles and a rib vault ceiling. The nave walls are arcade and mock triforium.
Former Gorin church is located on Hisaka island in the Goto islands. The island is shaped like a horse’s hoof.
Built for 26 Christian households living in the vicinity of Ono, as a peripatetic church of Shitsu church.
In 1915, the original presbytery (from before Oura Cathedral’s construction) was rebuilt.
Although it is popularly known as the Former Latin Seminary, the school’s official name is actually Nagasaki Catholic Divinity School. It was established by Father Petitjean in 1875 (soon after the ban on Christianity in Japan was lifted) in order to train theology students and Japanese priests. It functioned simultaneously as both a divinity school and a lodging house.
Oura Cathedral is dedicated to the 26 martyrs of Japan, and was also the stage for an event which became known as the “Discovery of Christians”.
Former Shitsu Aid Centre opened in 2013 after 5 years of conservation and repair work.
In 1885, this building was constructed opposite the Former Shitsu Aid centre. It is a wooden-framed, one-storey building made of brick.
In September 1865, following the Discovery of the Hidden Christians at Nagasaki’s Oura Cathedral in March of the same year, Father Petitjean (the priest to whom they had confessed their faith) visited Sotome and successfully made contact with Hidden Christians living there.
An unpopulated island located 2km off the northwest coast of Hirado. The island is 400metres long and 50metres wide.
A sacred mountain located on the west coast of Hirado, 536 metres above sea level.
A village along the west coast of Hirado, facing out towards Ikitsuki island. Hirado was on the maritime route which linked Europe with India, China and Japan, and it accepted foreign trade along with foreign missionaries.
The people who live in this area today are the descendants of Hidden …
The first church was built in around 1879.
An early Japanese Christian tombstone, semi-cylindrical in shape. In …
Hinoe castle is one of the castles to appear in Christian missionary …
A church built in the Okuura district of Fukue island. During the Edo…
In 1885, a temporary church was constructed in the Kyousaki area of H…
Beginning in 1886, Father Raguet and Father de Rotz had some Christia…
In 1597, 26 men and boys including foreign missionaries were martyred…