Kuroshima is an island located southeast of Hirado, off the coast of Sasebo. Many people came and settled here in the 18th century.
In September 1865, following the Discovery of the Hidden Christians at Nagasaki’s Oura Cathedral in March of the same year, Father Petitjean (the priest to whom they had confessed their faith) visited Sotome and successfully made contact with Hidden Christians living there.
In 1885, this building was constructed opposite the Former Shitsu Aid centre. It is a wooden-framed, one-storey building made of brick.
Former Shitsu Aid Centre opened in 2013 after 5 years of conservation and repair work.
Although it is popularly known as the Former Latin Seminary, the school’s official name is actually Nagasaki Catholic Divinity School. It was established by Father Petitjean in 1875 (soon after the ban on Christianity in Japan was lifted) in order to train theology students and Japanese priests. It functioned simultaneously as both a divinity school and a lodging house.
Built for 26 Christian households living in the vicinity of Ono, as a peripatetic church of Shitsu church.
Former Gorin church is located on Hisaka island in the Goto islands. The island is shaped like a horse’s hoof.
A wooden church with a multi-layered roof, designed by Tetsukawa Yosuke and completed in 1918. It has three aisles and a rib vault ceiling. The nave walls are arcade and mock triforium.