Candidates for a world heritage
Former House of Archbishop
Minamiyamate 5-3, Nagasaki-shi, Nagasaki-ken 〒850-0931
In 1915, the original presbytery (from before Oura Cathedral's construction) was rebuilt.
It was designed by Father de Rotz and executed by Tetsukawa Yosuke. It has a basement floor, as well as three further floors which are above ground. The way it is built takes advantage of the slope upon which it sits. It is mainly made of brick, although some wood has also been used.
One of the building's interesting characteristics is that it looks different when viewed from different sides. The north side is brick with a gabled roof. The south side has a hipped roof made using Japanese roof tiles. The east side of the building is colonial style with a two-storied veranda and balcony.
In 1959, Nagasaki Diocese was raised to the rank of an Archdiocese and the Bishop of Nagasaki was appointed an Archbishop. The residence therefore became an Archbishop's residence.